Are Your Company Drivers Prepared for Inclement Weather Season?
Source: Federated Insurance, November 7, 2019
Over the next several months, extreme weather — rain, wind, snow, sleet, hail and ice — will be in full force. Make sure your drivers keep up with Mother Nature to help ensure they get to their destination safely.
According to the Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, poor weather conditions cause an average of 3,384 vehicle crashes every day.
Watch the Weather
The National Weather Service issues watches, warnings, and advisories on weather radio, local radio, public radio, local television, and various web outlets.
Wherever you do business, periods of severe weather can impact your travel. Commuters and those who drive as part of their job face driving risks every day, but especially in harsh weather.
Have A Plan
Having a strategy in case of inclement weather may help avoid death, injury, and financial loss. Here is a sample checklist:
- Check your tires, windshield wipers, and washer fluid before departing
- Start with a full fuel tank and don't let it get below a quarter tank
- Have emergency supplies readily available at work and in the car
- Have a communications plan with those at your departure location as well as the destination
- Adjust speed to compensate for road conditions
- Avoid distractions when driving
Contact your BDD for more information about Federated Insurance's business insurance.